1984 Ford Thunderbird (first car)

Its awsome what kind of details you notice about you ride due to 3D aye? =)
Oh brother that is the truth.

I went out to the car to go to the store this morning and before I got in, I just kinda stood there in a trance imagining poly placement on the rear fender. It was a very strange experience modeling my car for 4 hrs then walking right out and looking at it. Very surreal.

Then while driving to the store all I just dazed off at the dash thinking about how I was going to model it..

Dammit, I got the bug bad now!

Great work, makes me want to do that to my dads truck, he has a durango and I want to make that truck, I also want to make my dad car which is a station wagon, plus my truck, but back to the topic(sorry for going off) I love the work and the prints, could you help me with that technique on making blueprints from car photos? Would help me alot. Thanks.

OK I had a nice block of time to finally work on the model. Sorry I have been away this long. :(

Some updates

I wanted to see what it would look like in another color so I gave it a coat of silver:

Getting those side mirrors right was hell..crazy worn bar of soap curves.... :eek:

Things left to do:

-Trim pieces around the windows

-Windows themselves

-Beltline rubber side door trim

-Textures/bump maps for the taillights

-Badges

-Exhaust pipes

-Minor body tweaking and cleanup

-WHEELS! (I'll probably do 3-4 different sets :) )

If I get brave I might do a simple interior.. we'll see.

tom120934

Administrator
Lovely, really lovely render. Except the gap issues between (1) front fender and front bumper and (2) front fender and hood, it's really a great model.

You should add some brake discs ASAP, because empty rims look a bit weird as of now.

The ground texture is a bit stretched, so it doesn't look natural.

Paint shader is good, but turn signals shader needs work.

Keep it up, you're doing good job !

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
those are really the wheels on the thing? lol

Anyway, been following this thread for a while now, and I'm impressed every update. Keep up the good work on this great car :grin:

Aside from what tom already critiqued, the only thing I can say is that it looks as though it may be just a bit too reflective. I'm not even sure a brand new car would have that much sheen to it...

I'm using Mental Ray.

The BBK wheels are something I already had, so I slapped them on just so I could see what it looks like with wheels. I plan on doing 2-3 other wheels designs. Sorry I haven't made disk brakes yet, I know it looks empty.

Lovely, really lovely render. Except the gap issues between (1) front fender and front bumper and (2) front fender and hood, it's really a great model.
Thanks tom120934, actually the gap is mostly intentional. My T-Bird really has that much gap (they all do) Think I should tighten up the gaps anyway?

the only thing I can say is that it looks as though it may be just a bit too reflective
Yeah it is. I will tone it down on the final renders. It is just fun to see your car coated in +3 enchanted paint of reflection from the gods... :p

Damn, there has to be a way to get this car midpoly
Yeah schaefft, I think I blew past the midpoly mark like a skydiver without a parachute.. D'oh!

Paint shader is good, but turn signals shader needs work.
Yeah 2 things have been tough for me to get right - the shader for the side markers and the red taillight lenses. Can anyone give me some pointers for a good Mental Ray shader for them?

Thanks again guys for all your motivation. When this starts to get overwhelming, you guys keep me going!

hmm make the inserts chrome, like using the arch & design shaders, for the cover, make it like you would a glass material, make it orange, change the reflective and glossy values so it simulates plastic, add a bump map for the final effect, or if you have it modelled. same with the rear, but you need to play with the transparency values to get a nice effect, so its not too orange, yet not too little- hope that helped. yeah usee Mr Arch and Design materials, they are the best for use with mr,

Worked on the rear end today. It's just about finished up sans exhaust pipes, fuel tank and license plate frame.

I worked hard getting the taillights to look real. Ended up making a full blown lens assembly inside and out. I'm pretty happy with it.

tom120934

Administrator
When I wrote about the gaps, I hadn't in mind their width but the fact than curvature aren't continuous from one part to another accross the gap.

When checking a refpic (eg : http://www.murrayco.com/83tbird/83tbird2.jpg) you see that you're right when saying the gaps are pretty wide. But IMHO you should model the hood and fender and bumper as only one shape, then cutting it to make sure surface flow is homegeneous.

I'm not sure I was clear. Let me know if you want to me try to explain again.

But IMHO you should model the hood and fender and bumper as only one shape, then cutting it to make sure surface flow is homegeneous.

I'm not sure I was clear. Let me know if you want to me try to explain again.
Thanks, I know what you mean now. I think I tried separate pieces because of my lack of decent blueprints, that way I could adjust any plan errors more easily. In retrospect I should have done it all one shape... chalk that up as inexperience on my part.

I tell ya what, I have learned a lot from when I first started on this until now. #1 thing is have the best possible blueprints you can or make the best your can.

I'll try to tweak the gaps the best I can with what I have.

tom120934

Administrator
Blueprint isn't that important. Even if they looks good, they're always liars, because they tend to have you not looking enough to refpics.

It's nice to have blueprints, because it makes things more easy. But I think of them only as guides to place major volumes and shapes. That is, height of hood, length of windshield, length of doors and so on. I use them to draw some kind of spline cage (even if I do polymodeling only ;) )

Once I'm done with that stage, I move on detailing with as many refpic as I can find. No matter if you model the whole body as a shape or not, you just have to keep in mind that surfaces usually flow smoothly from one part to the other.

I did only one car model without having true blueprints, my Ariel Atom II. AFAIK there is still no available prints for it. I used only refpics to get a rough model of the chassis. Once I was pleased of what I've got, I used this as a print, to place each part in or around it. What I want to explain is, the workflow was almost the same : a rough shaping of the car, then time for details.