I went out to the car to go to the store this morning and before I got in, I just kinda stood there in a trance imagining poly placement on the rear fender. It was a very strange experience modeling my car for 4 hrs then walking right out and looking at it. Very surreal.
Then while driving to the store all I just dazed off at the dash thinking about how I was going to model it..
Great work, makes me want to do that to my dads truck, he has a durango and I want to make that truck, I also want to make my dad car which is a station wagon, plus my truck, but back to the topic(sorry for going off) I love the work and the prints, could you help me with that technique on making blueprints from car photos? Would help me alot. Thanks.
The BBK wheels are something I already had, so I slapped them on just so I could see what it looks like with wheels. I plan on doing 2-3 other wheels designs. Sorry I haven't made disk brakes yet, I know it looks empty.
Lovely, really lovely render. Except the gap issues between (1) front fender and front bumper and (2) front fender and hood, it's really a great model.
hmm make the inserts chrome, like using the arch & design shaders, for the cover, make it like you would a glass material, make it orange, change the reflective and glossy values so it simulates plastic, add a bump map for the final effect, or if you have it modelled. same with the rear, but you need to play with the transparency values to get a nice effect, so its not too orange, yet not too little- hope that helped. yeah usee Mr Arch and Design materials, they are the best for use with mr,
When I wrote about the gaps, I hadn't in mind their width but the fact than curvature aren't continuous from one part to another accross the gap.
When checking a refpic (eg : http://www.murrayco.com/83tbird/83tbird2.jpg) you see that you're right when saying the gaps are pretty wide. But IMHO you should model the hood and fender and bumper as only one shape, then cutting it to make sure surface flow is homegeneous.
I'm not sure I was clear. Let me know if you want to me try to explain again.
Thanks, I know what you mean now. I think I tried separate pieces because of my lack of decent blueprints, that way I could adjust any plan errors more easily. In retrospect I should have done it all one shape... chalk that up as inexperience on my part.
I tell ya what, I have learned a lot from when I first started on this until now. #1 thing is have the best possible blueprints you can or make the best your can.
I'll try to tweak the gaps the best I can with what I have.
Blueprint isn't that important. Even if they looks good, they're always liars, because they tend to have you not looking enough to refpics.
It's nice to have blueprints, because it makes things more easy. But I think of them only as guides to place major volumes and shapes. That is, height of hood, length of windshield, length of doors and so on. I use them to draw some kind of spline cage (even if I do polymodeling only )
Once I'm done with that stage, I move on detailing with as many refpic as I can find. No matter if you model the whole body as a shape or not, you just have to keep in mind that surfaces usually flow smoothly from one part to the other.
I did only one car model without having true blueprints, my Ariel Atom II. AFAIK there is still no available prints for it. I used only refpics to get a rough model of the chassis. Once I was pleased of what I've got, I used this as a print, to place each part in or around it. What I want to explain is, the workflow was almost the same : a rough shaping of the car, then time for details.