1981-1985 Nissan Skyline [R30]

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Video Game & Real-Time' started by Bakasan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Professional Procrastinaor
    Here's another model I made about a week ago. I think it's pretty accurate thus far, which is nice for a change (I suppose all the years of practice has helped me to work faster). But yes, I've just got to sort out the details, do the interior and chassis components and all that stuff. Hopefully I can do it quicker than the AE86 (it's taken more than a year T_T)

1981 Nissan Skyline 2000 RS [KDR30] 1.png 1981 Nissan Skyline 2000 RS [KDR30] 2.png 1981 Nissan Skyline 2000 RS [KDR30] 3.png 1981 Nissan Skyline 2000 RS [KDR30] 4.png
    This particular one is a 1981 Skyline HT 2000RS [KDR30], but of course all bodystyles and trim levels will be modeled, as goes for every other car of mine.

Speedjunkie likes this.
  2. sh00ks

sh00ks Active Member

Project Manager
    Looks good!

Out of curiosity: what is the polycount on such a exterior shell?
    I'm fiddling around with low poly modeling, just to see if it's something for me, but I'm having a real hard time to NOT go into detail and my polycount goes sky-high when I'm not paying attention :D

3. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Well, without the wheels or muffler, it's currently at 2264 triangles. Here's how the polyflow looks:
    Untitled 2.png
    Untitled wire1.png
    When it's done, I'm guessing the polycount will be around the likes of 50,000 triangles, with a fully detailed interior, engine and chassis. The Trueno, which has all the main bits done, is at something like 38000 without wheels, but there are a lot of faces to triangulate on it yet...

4. sh00ks

sh00ks Active Member

Project Manager
    Thanks for your quick reply!

Amazing how low you can keep the polycount, even on a finished model :cool:

Is there a maximum number of polys/triangles you apply to your models?

5. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

This is a pretty easy car to do in low poly, seeing as it's very square and angular, you don't need a lot of polys to make it look realistic to a human eye. As far as the poly budget, I'd like to get my vehicles around 50,000 when complete, although I don't really have any set limit, I just model and see what happens.

6. Speedjunkie

Speedjunkie Active Member

Independent Game Developer
    As a Skyline fan this is definately one of my favorite Skylines, and nice and clean geometry! When you count the polys, do you use Mesh lab or another 3d model viever? Anyways, good poly count too, should run nicely:) Also do you use the Extrude face From Edge plugin?

50k seems like a good number, according to Meshlab my s2k model has 23.000 vertices (that is with the interior included, but without the stock bodykit)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

I just use Sketchup's default statistic window to check the polygons. It actually just counts up all of the faces, so on some of my models, in which a large amount of small details need to be triangulated, the reading is a little low. In this case, I believe everything is triangles, so the reading should be pretty accurate. Also note that I've started the details on the side trims and taillights, so that may make it read a bit higher too.

I don't use any plugins either, just the advanced toolbox is enough for every task I've encountered yet.

8. Speedjunkie

Speedjunkie Active Member

Independent Game Developer
    I see:) I just downloaded Mesh lab, its a nifty tool to check poly count with, can also be used to clean up geometry etc. it doesnt import texture maps correctly but, it shows the exact triangle count.
    I don't use any plugins either except that one, it works kinda like the pull tool, exept it creates faces from an edge.You should give it a try, it really makes everything a lot easier and faster:)